Subject: Re: YP and # sign
To: mark rewis <mark.rewis@lmco.com>
From: Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/14/2000 06:01:26
On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, mark rewis wrote:

> If I log into my ypmaster ( altair ) as myself ( rewis ) and do an 'id'
>
> uid=767(rewis) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel), 5555(users)
>
> If I log into either of the the other systems (  deneb ) and do an 'id'
>
> uid=767(#rewis) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel), 5555(users)
>
> What does the # sign indicate on the user id on the non ypmaster systems
> ( assuming it has anything to do with NIS at all ).

The '#' sign indicates you have a 'rewis' userid commented out in the
local /etc/passwd file.  When you login, you're being authenticated via
NIS, but when you enter the 'id' command, it tries to look up your uid in
the local /etc/passwd file first before querying NIS.  Since it found a
maching uid -- in the commented out line -- you're being shown the
apparent uesrid in field one: '#rewis'.  Easy fix: remove commented out
entries from /etc/passwd.

  /\---/\  Eric J Fox
 /  o o  \ http://fox.phoenix.az.us
    \@/    "Of course it runs NetBSD."