Subject: Re: Anon cvs access to pkgsrc
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Anders Dinsen <anders@dinsen.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/11/2000 23:13:29
On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Anders Dinsen wrote:
> > [blah, blah]
>
> Try "cvs login" first (password is "anoncvs"). You only have to do
> that once: the password is saved in ~/.cvspass.

Thanks! That helped - I think. Now I just get connection time outs.
Perhaps I should try a mirror. Meanwhile I downloaded the pkgsrc tarball,
but I would very much like to get AnonCVS working.

> According to the man page, CVSROOT in the environment overrides the
> CVS/Root files (which were not set to anoncvs for 1.4.1). If that's
> not true, try setting CVS_IGNORE_REMOTE_ROOT in the environment, or
> simply "cvs -d $CVSROOT update -A -P -d".

cvs complains about the 'non existing' root in CVS/Root, so it ignores
it. CVS_IGNORE_REMOTE_ROOT helps - now it does'nt complain.

> I recently discovered that ssh works with anoncvs, as long as you make
> sure you're logging in as user "anoncvs". In ~/.ssh/config...
>
>  Host	anoncvs.netbsd.org
>  User	anoncvs
>
> or CVS_RSH="ssh -l anoncvs" would probably work, too. In that case,
> omit ":pserver:".

Are there any advantages over using basic pserver? For real CVS access,
yes (security), but anoncvs should'nt require much of that?

Thanks a lot for your help, everyone that responded to my message!

Anders

--
Anders Dinsen
anders@dinsen.net