Subject: Re: LinkSys Ethernet cards.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org,>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/11/2000 15:38:24
Hi,

basically these options will either increase the performance of parts
of the system (with chances for compatibility problems) or are
available to avoid compatibility problems by turning off features.
Most system vendors seem to be very "conservative" when turning
on enhancement options, while some motherboard manufacturers
don=B4t even include these options in their bios.

It was very unusual that applying of the settings I described should
result in system failure, however poorer performance could result.

The remarks of Linux problems from Linksys gave me the
impression that this was related to a compatibility problem of the
card/card-driver-combination. So even if a new driver solves this
problem finding settings that work with the current driver may help to
enhance new drivers or help to work around hardware specific
problems.

By the way such problems are not uncommon, there are legions of
special card-/mobo-/softwarecombinations that simply will not work
well together, but each of the involved components work pretty well
with other components. As far as I know these problems are treated
as they are and abviously the number of these problems is small
enough to ignore them.

hope I could be of some help

mike