Subject: Re: LinkSys Ethernet cards.
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
From: Kevin McCarthy <klmhq@ih2000.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/10/2000 19:55:10
Richard Rauch wrote:

> I've been told that -current already supports these different Linksys
> cards.  MS-WINDOWS '95 (which I had on one partition up until about a year
> ago) believed that it had the card correctly configured and operational
> (granted, I had no way to test it).  A BIOS tweak might conceivably fix
> it, but if so...it's remarkable that in over a year since the card was
> introduced, Linksys themselves are unable to suggest anything more helpful
> than that it can probably be fixed by twiddling unspecified BIOS options.

That seems kind of drastic to me.  I'm not an expert or anything, but I
haven't had any problems with Linksys products.  I was able to configure my
set-up to network under Linux, though I haven't yet done so for NetBSD.

> (Aside: The computer was put together by Gateway 2000.  This means that I
> have no motherboard documentation.  Also there seems good reason to
> believe that Gateway 2000 knows how to correctly configure their
> systems.)

My main box is a Gateway PII450 running Win98 Lite.  It doesn't have a problem
with the Linksys card and worked with the software straight out of the box.  I
was running my network in about an hour. (The first time I had ever assembled
a network.)

> Given that nothing else (hardware or software) thinks that my current
> config is wrong...I'm reluctant to risk breaking a correct config, if a
> driver update will handle the newer ethernet cards.

Do let me know if you try the current snapshot and it works.  I'll need to do
the same thing soon.

<text snipped>

> > I would recommend to contact Linksys tech support for a solution or
> > a closer description of the bios setting changes needed.
>
> The web page that you quoted from doesn't raise my confidence in their
> customer support.  (^&

While I don't know anything about their tech support (I've never needed it).
I like the products they make.  I just bought an 8 port 10/100 switch for an
expansion project.  Their stuff may not be as expensive as 3Com cards and
hubs/switches, but the work I do doesn't require industrial strength
networking either.  I can't complain.

> Thanks again.
>
>   "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com

        "Neither do I"