Subject: Re: LinkSys Ethernet cards.
To: None <s1dative@exnet.iastate.edu>
From: Phillip Rulon <pjr@gnu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/10/2000 20:17:17
   Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:00:46 -0600
   From: "benjamin p. myers" <s1dative@exnet.iastate.edu>
   Sender: netbsd-help-owner@netbsd.org

   I wish i had some semblance of an idea whether or not it'd help at all for
   BSD.  you can get it for linux at:

   http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.c

   and

   http://www.linksys.com/www.linksys/solution/nos/linux%5Flne100tx.htm#module

   will tell you how to compile for linux.  Wish i could be of more help for bsd.

   At 11:39 AM 1/10/00 -0500, you wrote:

   > > > I would recommend to contact Linksys tech support for a solution or
   > > > a closer description of the bios setting changes needed.
   > >
   > > The web page that you quoted from doesn't raise my confidence in their
   > > customer support.  (^&
   >
   >I've been following this with some amusement to see if anyone else had
   >better luck with their tech 'support' than I have.  Last fall I bought one
   >of their cards for our linux server and politely asked which chipset it
   >used.  After three days they responded with 'we don't support linux'.
   >There's a reason their cards are cheap.  Its time to move on to a more
   >interested vendor ...

I just set one of these up for a Redhat 6 box, Becker's tulip code did not
run out of the box.  Imagine my surprise when, after mounting the floppy,
that came with the card, I discovered a dir called "linux".  In it were 2
files, tulip.c and GPL.  I copyed the driver source into the kernel tree
and rebuilt/reboot.  The module loaded and ran fine.  I was impressed
that they shipped the linux driver in source, but even more impressed
that they included the GPL in a shrink wrapped product that I bought
from Staples.

BTW, I'd be happy to send along this code if anyone want's it.

pjr