Subject: Re: LinkSys Ethernet cards.
To: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/10/2000 09:51:52
> according to Linksys homepage the cards currently sold should be=20

Thanks for the information.  The plot thickens.  (^&

I've been told that -current already supports these different Linksys
cards.  MS-WINDOWS '95 (which I had on one partition up until about a year
ago) believed that it had the card correctly configured and operational
(granted, I had no way to test it).  A BIOS tweak might conceivably fix
it, but if so...it's remarkable that in over a year since the card was
introduced, Linksys themselves are unable to suggest anything more helpful
than that it can probably be fixed by twiddling unspecified BIOS options.

(Aside: The computer was put together by Gateway 2000.  This means that I
have no motherboard documentation.  Also there seems good reason to
believe that Gateway 2000 knows how to correctly configure their
systems.)

Given that nothing else (hardware or software) thinks that my current
config is wrong...I'm reluctant to risk breaking a correct config, if a
driver update will handle the newer ethernet cards.

> To me this pretty much looks samiliar to your problem, as Linksys=20
> homepage is not too communicative to the "configuration of your PC=20
> bios" I can=B4t tell what needs to be changed. Linksys homepage=20
> describes problems with Via chipsets and I had problems with my=20
> 3Com card and the VP3 chipset too, but I can=B4t remember what=20
> went wrong and what solved the problem (some bios setting changes=20
> did the trick), the problem existed under NT too.

If you could remember what those changes were, specifically, I might give
them a try.

> I would recommend to contact Linksys tech support for a solution or=20
> a closer description of the bios setting changes needed.

The web page that you quoted from doesn't raise my confidence in their
customer support.  (^&

Thanks again.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com