Subject: Re: I misunderstand partitioning
To: Nate Johnston <nate@broadwing.com>
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/10/2000 15:41:28
Nate Johnston wrote:
> I'm new to NetBSD, although I'm familiar with a number of other Unices.  I
> am setting up a trial version of NetBSD on a laptop, and it is going well,
> with the exception of accessing the windows partitions of the disk.

>   c:  3401937       63      MSDOS                        # (Cyl.    0*- 3599)
>   d:  5004720  3402000      MSDOS                        # (Cyl. 3600 - 8895)

> Trying to mount /dev/wd0c on /mnt: Trying to mount /dev/wd0d on /mnt: mount_msdos: mount: Invalid argument

Partitions c and d are special in the i386 port.  Partition d is the whole
disk and partition c is the whole NetBSD portion of it.  If you make your
MSDOS partitions have different letters, you will probably have more success.

There is also the NetBSD/i386 FAQ at :

  http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/i386/faq.html

specifically :

  http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/i386/faq.html#msdos_partition

PS.  I'm not sure if you will need to put back the 'real' c and d partitions
into your disklabel.

--
                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/