Subject: LinkSys Ethernet cards.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/10/2000 02:10:01
A little over a year ago, it looked like I was going to have a use for
Ethernet.  On someone's dated recommendation, I bought a Linksys card (the
recommendation had been given when they still used DEC Tulip chips; I have
no idea what they were using when I bought the card, and didn't know that
they had switched).

I figured that I'd see NetBSD support for it before long, and would sooner
or later want the card anyway, so I didn't bother seeing if I could return
it.  I had the impression that the card was going to be supported in 1.4,
but that didn't happen.  It is currently detected by the system as a
``Lite-On Communications'' product, and is even known to be an Ethernet
card.  It does not seem to be supported, though.

That's history.  I want to know a few things:

Is it supported in -current?

If so, then is it reasonable to expect it to be supported in 1.5, whenever
that comes around?

If it's supported in -current, how much work would it be to snag it and
drop it into a 1.4.x kernel?  (Bear in mind that I'm comfortable building
a kernel, and passable at C programming, but don't know the kernel
internals.)

...if need be, I can pull the case open and look for chips on the Ethernet
board, but I don't know which ones to look for offhand, and assume that
someone out there knows more about these cards.  (I vaguely remember
someone implying that he just missed a cut-off date to import the driver
into the 1.4 kernel, last spring.)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com