Subject: Re: "help" type question, re: X11 and macppc NetBSD (previously to x11-tech)
To: Phaedrus <phaedrus@endless.org>
From: fission <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/08/2000 23:52:42
On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Phaedrus wrote:

> Am I right to assume that Open Firmware must be configured for a different
> resolution before X11 on a Mac PowerPC will run in a different resolution?
> The Open Firmware documentation at Sun's site made cryptic references to
> width/height attributes, but using the commands to view properties and
> words associated with devices in the tree I failed to see these properties
> or words at all.. however, I am running Open Firmware 1.0.5.

Well, I have Valkyrie video on my Mac at home, but at work, I have an ATI
card of some sort.  If you do a "dev screen" (where screen is the path to
your video card) and then do a "words", you may find there is a word to
change your resolution; I remember that I was able to switch resolution
from within Open Firmware.

> get my DEC3100 going as a workstation... Would a new (hopefully cheap)
> video card allow me to use a PCI driver and bypass OpenFirmware and Mac's
> screwey inconsistent hardware?

AFAIK, NetBSD's X implementation for macppc requires the ofb to run, so
the card has to be Open Firmware -compliant anyways.

> The keyboard logic on the motherboard of my primary machine (also
> NetBSD) croaked. No matter what keyboard I use, input is garbled, so I
> urgently need to get NetBSD running on something else in my home to get
> working again...
>
> Thanks for your time & attention!
> -scott walters
> phaedrus@endless.org

Hope this helps - if you can't find it, let me know and I'll get the exact
syntax from the Power Mac at work.  Actually, I'll probably do that
anyways, later on.

--fission