Subject: RE: what am I doing wrong
To: Phaedrus <phaedrus@endless.org>
From: Wayne Burgess <wburgess@fun.org.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/03/2000 23:38:35
> Happy new year all:)

*hic*!

>           #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
>             a:   305424  2050272      4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   #
(Cyl.
> 2034 - 2336)
>             b:   526176  2355696        swap                        #
(Cyl.
> 2337 - 2858)
>             c:  1843632  2050272      unused        0     0         #
(Cyl.
> 2034 - 3862)
>             d:  4124736        0      unused        0     0         #
(Cyl.
> 0 - 4091)
>             e:  1012032  2881872      4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   #
(Cyl.
> 2859 - 3862)
> 		f:  2050209		63      MSDOS				  # (Cyl.    0*- 2033)

Do both NT and BSD boot correctly? If you ever have to reinstall NT, it
will clobber BSD's bootstrap stuff (or OS/2's, or Linux's, etc. It's just
mean that way).

wayne:-

Yes they both boot OK I press F1 and NT and F2 NetBSD I amde the partition
in NetBSD and formated it as FAT in NT

> I also cannot mount my floppy drive. Here are the commands I am using to
> mount the floppy
>
> 1.mkdir /floppy
> 2.mount -t floppy /dev/fd0 /floppy

Hmm.
Try: mount -t msdos /dev/fd0a /mnt
There is no "floppy" filesystem. You can, however, put an MSDOS, FFS, Mac,
Amiga, QNX, Minix, etc file system on a floppy (or harddrive)...

Wayne:-

with this cammand, does on have to make a dir for the revelant filing system
ie
mkdir /ffs , Mac, amiga etc....???

> I get a return that says:- mount: mount_floppy not found for /floppy
>
> what am I doing wrong. I am also getting the samething when I try to mount
> my MSDOS
> partition.
>
> This is driving me "up the wall" but I am sure you have all been where I
am
> at when you started

Sure have. It took me weeks to get NetBSD running, after trying FreeBSD,
NetBSD and Linux. I had every problem in the book. Once I finally got it
running, I couldn't for the life of me figure out which device I needed to
use with 'cu' to dial out and set up PPP. The NetBSD folks helped me, so
thats what I run =)

Wayne:-

well I am still running NT :( Iknow that is a dirty word here) to access the
internet but I would like to learn NetBSD. I was going to give up and move
to Linus but I thought, if I could work out how to use BSD I would not have
much problem with thge others. Installing it and getting it to work was no
problem, it just getting it to be an operating system like I am used to. I
have to install packets and so on so I will be asking alot of questions

wayne

> regards
>
> wayne

cheers!