Subject: Re: Generic Question re wscons
To: James Tuman Nelson <jimtnelson@earthlink.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/01/2000 14:25:42
On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, James Tuman Nelson wrote:
> Does wscons appear in the process list when you do 'ps -acx' on your machine?

No, wscons isn't a process, and as such, does not show up in the process
list...

> I suspect that 'init' is not setting up the terminals as defined in
> 'ttys', but I see three 'getty' processes occuring, and now
> 'wscons', when running 'ps -acx'.

Don't use ps's "-c" option and you'll be able to see exactly which
terminals getty is running on. The wscons tty names are
ttyE? (e.g. ttyE0, ttyE1, ttyE2, ttyE3, etc...)

> I did not realize that only the i386 port supports wscons.  Will
> support be extended to other platforms?

Actually, a couple of ports support wscons... some don't support virtual
terminals though. I know NetBSD/alpha supports wscons and virtual
terminals if you have a VGA card (since that's what I have :). I don't
know whether virtual terminals are supported with the TGA framebuffers.

Do you have all of the wscons device files created? Do a
ls -l /dev/ttyE*

You should see something like:
crw--w----  1 khym  tty    47,   0 Dec 31 04:04 /dev/ttyE0
crw--w----  1 khym  tty    47,   1 Dec 31 04:05 /dev/ttyE1
crw-------  1 root  wheel  47,   2 Dec 31 03:48 /dev/ttyE2
crw-------  1 root  wheel  47,   3 Dec 31 03:48 /dev/ttyE3
crw-------  1 root  wheel  47,   4 Aug 25 21:09 /dev/ttyE4
crw-------  1 root  wheel  47,   5 Aug 25 21:09 /dev/ttyE5
crw-------  1 root  wheel  47,   6 Aug 25 21:09 /dev/ttyE6
crw-------  1 root  wheel  47,   7 Aug 25 21:09 /dev/ttyE7
crw-------  1 root  wheel  47, 255 Aug 25 21:09 /dev/ttyEcfg

Make sure you have ttyEcfg; that's important :) Also make sure the "47,
0" etc... numbers are correct.