Subject: Re: GNU binutils 2.9.1 (was gcc-2.95.2 gcj)
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Anders Dinsen <anders@dinsen.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/01/2000 14:40:54
On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

[snip!]
> Ah... I'd recommend updating your pkgsrc. The current pkgsrc fully

Thanks! I'll do that!

> [...]
> Is gcj supposed to build on all platforms? The existing alternatives
> have problems on m68k and others. If gcj works at all, a package is
> called for, and if you submit one, then you get to be the expert. ;-)

Since gcj is just another programming language for gcc (it compiles to
native machine code per default), all platforms should be supported as
soon as NetBSD is supported generally. Its like the Objective C and f77.

Porting the associated library may be a little more difficult (and my
problem is probably there since the compiler seems to work ok),
particularly the threading part. Building without threads is supported,
but one can always use a non-kernel-thread pthreads package like pth.

The libgcj is still lacking some Java API's and the compiler lacks the
inner classes feature of Java 1.1, but these are minor details, especially
for embedded systems as Cygnus originally inteded the tool for.

The gcj homepage is at http://sourceware.cygnus.com/java/

BTW: I still have'nt got it to work: I'm recompiling GCC and libgcj once
more with the new GNU ld specified. I did not get that done yesterday
since I was busy with other things :-)

Happy new year!

Anders

--