Subject: [david@fundy.ca: Pci modem?]
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/25/1999 14:15:22
Further to my own question, in case I wasn't clear.. (also trying a different list :-)

In sys/dev/isapnp/isapnpdevs for example, a device line looks like this:

devlogic        com     OZO8039         0       Zoom 56k flex

In sys/dev/pci/pcidevs, you get vendors and products:

vendor 3COM             0x10B7  3Com
product 3COM 3C590      0x5900  3c590 Ethernet

Now, fair enough, networks cards are less standardized than com ports,
but can comeone point me to details on what's involved in trying to get
a pci internal modem working?

I wrote:
> I have a 3Com/USR PCI modem I'm trying out... it wasn't in the pcidevs, so
> I added it there, and it is recognized, but of course I'm not getting
> a com port yet.... Just PCI device text.
>
> 3Com 3c5690 Voice Faxmodem (miscellaneous communications) at pci0 dev 20 function 0 not configured
>
> I can't find an example PCI modem to modify. Can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> (Yes, I know this could end up not working anyway, due to the possibly non-UART nature of
> this card)

Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...
					      - me