Subject: Upgrade - small problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Claude Marinier <marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/22/1999 09:55:48
Hi,

I should start by saying that I greatly appreciate the NetBSD community
for all your excellent work. You have made NetBSD an excellent system that
I trust with some critical networking functions. Thanks.

While upgrading to 1.4.1 (i386), I found a few problems with the sysinst
script. I boot from the floppy, choose 'Upgrade', and carry on. Here are
the problems.

1. After the script checks the file systems, it displays a message
   that says that it just did a newfs on the partitions. This could
   cause needless grief if someone believes the message. Someone
   should change the message.

2. Sysinst is very helpful and mounted all the local partition. Not
   realising this, I said that net distribution was on an unmounted
   partition. When I restarted the upgrade, sysinst could not mount
   /usr anymore. Could this be due to the 'last mounted as' string
   which was not '/mnt/usr'?

3. In order to restart the upgrade, I had to manually restore the etc
   directory.

I hope this helps.

Claude Marinier, Information Technology Group    claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca
Defence Research Establishment Ottawa (DREO)    (613) 998-4901  FAX 998-2675
3701 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario  K1A 0Z4         http://www.dreo.dnd.ca