Subject: Re: x e-mail client ??
To: None <joel@panacea.null.org>
From: Phillip Rulon <pjr@gnu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/21/1999 04:18:35
   cc: Zach Fine <zach@xdsl014.serv.net>, Noud de Brouwer <noud@dns.knot.nl>,
	   netbsd-help@netbsd.org, joel@panacea.null.org
   Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:48:58 +1000
   From: Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org>
   Sender: netbsd-help-owner@netbsd.org

   > > Another email client worth looking into is "vm", which runs in
   > > xemacs. I use it because its MIME support has proven better for me
   >
   > Eeek!  I just tried this one, and found that it ate my /var/mail/<user>
   > file!
   >
   > (Well, it moved it to a file in my home directory.)
   >
   > I suppose that I can see an argument for doing it this way, but I'm used
   > to the way that PINE keeps my mail in one spot.  And, since I want to
   > continue using PINE, this is a sudden-death feature for vm, as far as I'm
   > concerned.  (^&

   3 reasons off the top of my head why having your "in use" inbox and your
   maildrop files separately is better.

   maildrop filesystem won't fill up with users keeping the last 3 years of
   social email (with attachments) in there.

On a mail server with 600 users, this is critical.

   editing the maildrop file (deleting or refiling messages) while mail is
   being dropped can be nasty, depending on the mail client.

   alternative inbox formats can make things much faster for the client.

I get a ton of mail so I tend to have a lot of seperate files to keep
it organized.  This is tough to do when it gets left in the spool.

pjr