Subject: Re: x e-mail client ??
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
From: Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/21/1999 15:48:58
> > Another email client worth looking into is "vm", which runs in
> > xemacs. I use it because its MIME support has proven better for me
>
> Eeek!  I just tried this one, and found that it ate my /var/mail/<user>
> file!
>
> (Well, it moved it to a file in my home directory.)
>
> I suppose that I can see an argument for doing it this way, but I'm used
> to the way that PINE keeps my mail in one spot.  And, since I want to
> continue using PINE, this is a sudden-death feature for vm, as far as I'm
> concerned.  (^&

3 reasons off the top of my head why having your "in use" inbox and your
maildrop files separately is better.

maildrop filesystem won't fill up with users keeping the last 3 years of
social email (with attachments) in there.

editing the maildrop file (deleting or refiling messages) while mail is
being dropped can be nasty, depending on the mail client.

alternative inbox formats can make things much faster for the client.

This is only my experience. I'm sure there's more to say on the subject.

Cheers,

	- Joel Reicher