Subject: Re: x e-mail client ??
To: Noud de Brouwer <noud@dns.knot.nl>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/20/1999 11:15:44
You ask which email clients people use on NetBSD.  Although I am not
familiar with the ``eudora'' MS-WINDOWS/Mac product, I suggest considering
the following (I do NOT claim that the following is exhaustive, but it
should give you some places to start):

  exmh
  GNU Emacs
  XEmacs
  PINE in an xterm window (or ELM, ...)
  Netscape

(In addition, check out the NetBSD package system, under the ``mail''
directory.)

You mentioned already knowing about exmh, so I won't repeat that one (I
never cared for it, anyway...*grin*).

GNU EMACS originally had only a text interface.  But for some little while
now, it has supported X.  There is an email mode built into it (I believe
that it is called ``RMail'').  (Well, technically, RMail isn't built into
EMACS, but it is a standard feature to have installed.)  EMACS is quite a
powerful tool and is worth at least a look regardless of how you do email.

XEmacs: I gather that the original raison d'etre for XEmacs was to support
X.  Both GNU EMACS and XEmacs support both X and text interfaces now,
though.  In general, XEmacs looks a little snazzier than GNU EMACS, but
XEmacs seems to run more slowly.  It should support RMail just as well as
does GNU EMACS, so you can take your pick.

I use PINE, personally.  It is dedicated to the task of doing email, and I
find it the easiest to start using.  If you like to tinker, you can
arrange for your window manager to provide a menu-item that launches an
xterm which in turn runs PINE.  Alternatively, you could use ELM or some
other common text-based mail reader.  (NOTE: Even though it runs out of a
shell in an xterm window, PINE does support the mouse.  I remember being a
little annoyed at the way that PINE uses the mouse, though, since it gets
in the way of drag-selecting text.  So, I disabled this PINE feature.)

As for Netscape...doesn't it support doing email?  I gather that the
MS-WINDOWS version does, but I remember not being fond of the interface.
You might look into it.  (I'm pretty sure that Netscape Navigator does NOT
do email.)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com