Subject: ATAPI CD-R/RW support in cdrecord-1.8
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: robert pearson <bobp@sevenofnine.erols.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/20/1999 11:25:26
Hello:

     I am running NetBSD 1.4 trying to upgrade to NetBSD 1.4.1 on a Pentium II
450 MHz machine.  It was Gateway's high end multimedia machine before they release
their Pentium III line.   The package is from the 1.4.1 tree and I have also built it
under 1.4.  A dmesg shows my CD-R/RW as:

cd1 at atapibus0 drive 1: <PHILIPS CDD3610 CD-R/RW, 4VO0998422150920021, V:003.0> type 5 cdrom removable
cd1: 32-bits data port
cd1: drive supports PIO mode 3, DMA mode 1

The machine was purchased in November 1998.  My understanding is that cdrecord works
with this ATAPI CD-R/RW via a SCSI emulation command set on the CD-R/RW.  Unfortunately,
I ALSO HAVE A SCSI BUS on my machine without a CDROM or a CD-R/RW.

Anyway, I can't seem to get cdrecord to recognize this device:

cdrecord -dev=/dev/rcd1a:0,1 -V -checkdrive
Cdrecord release 1.8a28 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '/dev/rcd1a:0,1'
devname: '/dev/rcd1a'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 1
cdrecord: Inappropriate ioctl for device. Cannot get SCSI addr.
cdrecord: Inappropriate ioctl for device. Cannot open SCSI driver.

cdrecord -dev=/dev/rcd1d:0,1 -V -checkdrive
Cdrecord release 1.8a28 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '/dev/rcd1d:0,1'
devname: '/dev/rcd1d'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 1
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.

cdrecord -dev=/dev/cd1a:0,1 -V -checkdrive
Cdrecord release 1.8a28 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '/dev/cd1a:0,1'
devname: '/dev/cd1a'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 1
cdrecord: Inappropriate ioctl for device. Cannot get SCSI addr.
cdrecord: Inappropriate ioctl for device. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord -dev=/dev/cd1d:0,1 -V -checkdrive
Cdrecord release 1.8a28 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '/dev/cd1d:0,1'
devname: '/dev/cd1d'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 1
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.

I am not sure what driver I should be using and if a PHILIPS CDD3610 CD-R/RW
firmware problem or that CDRECORD will not work with a ATAPI CD-R/RW if both
a SCSI and ATAPI bus is present.

Any ideas or pointers or plain out help would be vastly appreciated.
The Home Page for CDRECORD claims the PHILIPS CDD3610 should work.
--
"i am unique and special, just like everyone else"
robert pearson                                     bobp@sevenofnine.erols.com