Subject: ipnat -- first connection after DoD
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Ingolf Koch <ingolf@knuut.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/04/1999 23:52:44
Hi.

My firewall uses dial on demand and each time gets a
different IP address from my provider. The problem
is that if it dials because a connection is requested
from my LAN via ipnat (on the firewall) to my provider,
I usually have to restart the client which opened the
connection or even have to wait for some (ipnat?) timeout.

Example:

% ssh host.somewhere.out
<nothing happens after the connection is established>
^C
% ssh host.somewhere.out
<now it works>

Maybe this is caused by ipnat still using the old IP
address (which was assigned by the provider for the
previous dialup) instead of switching to the new one.

What can I do to avoid restarting a client? I have
tried ipf -y on the firewall, but this did not improve
the situation.

    Ingolf
--

Ingolf Koch                      Beste Kneipe in Jena-Ost
PGP: 0x7B3B5661  213C 828E 0C92 16B5  05D0 4D5B A324 EC04