Subject: Re: apsfilter and remote printing
To: Reinoud Koornstra <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibbnet.nl>
From: James Tuman Nelson <jimtnelson@earthlink.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/04/1999 08:53:23
As far as I know, apsfilter would work out of the box with a serial or
parallel connection.  For remote printing on an epson 850Ne, I edited the
printcap raw to print to rm=192.168.100.141 and rp=aux.  Lpr ingores the
printfilter when sending jobs to a remote printfilter, as the author of aps
well knows.  Within apsfilter, I set REMOTE_PRINTER=True, which activates line
"PRINT_PS=$PRINT_PS | -Praw" later in apsfilter, which you may have to change
from "PRINT_PS=$PRINT_PS | -Premote".  This works great.  I am able to print
ASCII and groff output, etc.

I think that it might be better to create a separate printcap entry for a
"remote" printer and leave "raw" the way it is set up.  There are certain
print filter options available for "raw" that might be useful, and would
involve less fiddling with the files.  In short, edit the setup script to
provide a "remote" printer with IP address, and leave the rest alone.  I will
try this.

One other thing, I had to use --medium=letterdj in /etc/apsfilterrc to avoid
losing a line when printing ascii files through apsfilter.  a2ps defaults to
letter, assuming that there is more printable area than the epson prints, or
that ghostscript prints, and would drop a line from the printout (printed only
65 of 66 lines).  The result was confusing.  I suppose letterdj is not exactly
the right dimensions, but it works for now.

Jim