Subject: /dev/sound == LINUX /dev/dsp?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/26/1999 07:01:59
I see that there is a /dev/sound on my system (dated from around June 4).
The only reference that I have found to it so far is from the
/emul/linux/dev/dsp (a symbolic link to /dev/sound); the
/dev/db/pkg/suse_base-6.1 files refer to the creation of the symbolic
link.  There is no man page on it.  (And as far as I can see, no package
on my system was installed on the 4th; I apparently installed a slew on
the 6th/7th, but none on the 4th.)

The reason that I am curious about this file is that I wanted a flight
simulator, and we don't seem to have any.  So I started to try to
configure and build the ``Full Gear Flight Simulator'', which in turn
depends on plib.  The sound library in plib wants to use OSS.  For a
first-cut, the easiest solution is to let plib have OSS.

So, should I be safe in pointing plib's sound to /dev/sound?  Are there
any caveats or shortfalls that I should be aware of?  Where can I find man
pages on ossaudio?  (The ossaudio man page itself is very brief.)

For now, I'll go ahead and point plib to /dev/sound, but I would
appreciate advice from wiser heads.  (^&

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu