Subject: serial console
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Han <jhan@servecom.picker.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/27/1999 08:55:14
Hi, everyone:

I tried to compile the NetBSD 1.4 kernel with the following options in the
i386 platform:

options "CONSDEVNAME=\"com\"",CONADDR=0x3f8,CONSPEED=57600
options CONS_OVERRIDE

With the two options, I can force the system to use the serial port as
console by not the keyboard and monitor attached to the server. When I
replace the new kernel and reboot, my dummy terminal did receive all the
bootup message from the server, which implied the cable is good and the
system is under the serial console mode. However, when the bootup process
ended, I got a message:

May 27 01:19:58 server1 getty[143]: /dev/ttyE0: Device not configured

From this point, I can still get some messages from server such as someone
try to suid to root. However, I cannot enter anything from the serial
console.  Could anyone tell me what's wrong here?

Thanks!

Sean Han