Subject: Re: dial up connection
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/1999 20:48:35
On Mon, 24 May 1999, Guy Santiglia wrote:

>   I have ppp connection working on the BSD box.  I'm using it to send this
> email.  I want the modem on my Mac to answer an incoming call from the PC and
> let me log on to my NetBSD system.

You might like to try comms/mgetty+sendfax from the package system.
Didn't have much luck with my BestData 33.6, but that was over a year
ago, and that modem was prone to hanging. What mgetty is supposed to
do is let you take logins, answer faxes, or act as an answering
machine depending on who or what calls.

Without a program like mgetty, it's going to be difficult to get both
dialins and demand dailing to work, because for demand dialing pppd
stays open and ties up the port. The best I've ever been able to do is
to run "uugetty" from ttys, and then bring up ppp manually to dial
out.