Subject: Re: Printers.
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/1999 18:25:08
On Fri, 21 May 1999, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:

>Richard Rauch wrote
>[...]
>> a) Can someone else confirm the ``drift'' problem with another
>> configuration?  Or suggest a fix?
>
>By memory, I think there was a dip-switch setting for default
>page-size Letter/A4

I checked; I already had it set to Letter for default.  Since the pages
were effectively printing a shade ``large'', I decided to try a smaller
page-size (Quarto).  This made the output a little smaller, but had
exactly the same ``drift'':

On a 7-logical-page test file, at 2 logical-pages-per-physical, there is
slight, but visible drift between the 1st page and the 3rd (physical).  On
the last physical page, the first half is blank (because there are an odd
number of logical pages), and the drift is _significantly_ more
pronounced.

Any further ideas?  Since GhostScript works well in general with my
printer, I assume that gs isn't at fault---but maybe if I lie to gs
somewhere, a2ps|gs will work.

If I find any answers, I'll post.  I was hoping that someone had run into
this problem before and knew a hack (or proper fix).

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu