Subject: Re: Printers.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/23/1999 21:38:19
According to Richard Rauch:

>>For the HP4000N I have, it has JetDirect software for Windows, but it also
>>has a control panel on the front that you can set printer options up.  I
>>think its just a matter of giving it some information (a name, an IP
>>address, etc) and setting up the printcap on your local computer.

HP printers can also be configured by bootp so you don't have to
diddle the front panel to get the ip address in, it also helps if you
have a veritable gaggle of the beasties :-)  You do need to be wary of
the firmware rev in the jetdirect card though, sometimes the don't
bootp properly.

>Maybe I missed something in the printcap manpage, then.  I didn't remember
>seeing anything about network addressing.

Check out the 'rm' and 'rp' options though I have experienced some
quirks with the printer lpd just not responding after a while (this is
with Solaris though - just another reason to fervently hate the SYSV
print subsystem).  You can bypass the lpd on the printer and talk
directly at it - the jetdirect listens on port 9100 and passes the
data to the print engine.  So, if you are game you can write an of
script that takes the data and netcat (or whatever) it to the port on
the printer, in fact this is exactly how the HP jetadmin scripts work
on a BSD based system.