Subject: Re: Printers.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/21/1999 18:33:07
Richard Rauch wrote:

> I have thought seriously about getting a new printer.  The Lexmark
> ink printers look appealing in price/quality/peformance.  Unfortunately,
> they seem to be unsupported by GhostScript, and when I wrote to Lexmark
> asking about support (or just a set of printer-codes for writing my own
> GhostScript backend, say), they essentially ignored me.

In
Aladdin Ghostscript TESTER RELEASE 5.83 (1999-05-13)
from eg. ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/support/ghostscript/aladdin/test
(I see that 5.84 is out + remember this is Aladdin license...)
src/gdevlxm.c

 * Lexmark 5700 ink-jet printer driver for Ghostscript
 *
 * defines the lxm5700m device for printing in black-and-white at 1200 dpi
 * doesn't handle color or any other resolution.
 * Native resolution appears to be 600 x 1200, but print bands are overlapped.
 *
 * I use the command
 * gs -sOutputFile=/dev/lp0 -sDevice=lxm5700m -dHeadSeparation=15 file.ps
 *
 * where HeadSeparation varies from print-cartridge to print-cartridge and
 * 16 (the default) usually works fine.
 *
 *   Stephen Taylor  setaylor@ma.ultranet.com  staylor@cs.wpi.edu
 */

I don't have other source to hand to see when it arrived...

Cheers,

Patrick