Subject: Re: Printers.
To: fission <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/21/1999 00:13:59
>> b) Does anyone have some estimates of price-per-page for printing with
 [...]
>Off the top of my head, there was a price / performance chart in a PC
>World magazine a while back...almost every single inkjet and ink for the
>printer was cheaper initially, but eventually as you printed more and
>more, the lasers and the toner cartridges became more economical.  [If you
>print quite frequently]

That's kind of what I expected, in general.  Thanks for the reference to
the PC World magazine; I will look for it.  (It would be nice to know what
``quite frequently'' means.  Also, since lasers are faster, it may even be
worth paying a little more and sacrificing color...)

>> e) (Are there printers that are particularly recommended?)
>
>I really like HP.  I have a great laser at work, the 4000N.  Has only
 [...]

Hm.  Noted.  (^&  Thanks.

>> g) (Last question for now; (^&.)  Ether-based printers seem to be more
>> expensive, although with some it is a not-too-expensive option.  Probably
>> I cannot justify/afford such a printer, but if I should (or just for
>> curiosity's sake): How does such a printer attach to a NetBSD system?
 [...]
>For the HP4000N I have, it has JetDirect software for Windows, but it also
>has a control panel on the front that you can set printer options up.  I
>think its just a matter of giving it some information (a name, an IP
>address, etc) and setting up the printcap on your local computer.

Maybe I missed something in the printcap manpage, then.  I didn't remember
seeing anything about network addressing.

I promise that I'll learn to read.  One of these days.  After I learn to
count.  Maybe.

(^&

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu