Subject: Re: Printers.
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/21/1999 00:05:30
>Richard Rauch wrote
>[...]
>> a) Can someone else confirm the ``drift'' problem with another
>> configuration?  Or suggest a fix?
>
>By memory, I think there was a dip-switch setting for default
>page-size Letter/A4

Would that account for a tiny (about 1/16th inch, give or take a factor of
2) drift per page?  It wasn't grossly the wrong size.  (I also thought
that I had already set such a config-option somewhere to get US
paper-sizes.)

>> b) Does anyone have some estimates of price-per-page for printing with
>> various printers (lasers, inkjets)?  E.g., the Epson LQ-850 seems to be
 [...]
>I have a Kyocera FS600 Laser Printer, which prints about 3000 pages @
>5% coverage. The toner catridge costs about AUS$65. This printer
>doesn't need replacement of drum. It comes with an optional ethernet
>interface which I didn't purchase - installed it via parallel port.

Thanks!

>> c) Anyone else want to write to Lexmark and ask them about providing a
 [...]
>I think you're out of luck here... Companies such as Lexmark aren't
>interested in niche markets...

All that they really need to do is publish some technical information,
though.  Epson used to include such information with every printer they
made.  (sigh)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu