Subject: Re: low memory install
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/20/1999 23:00:04
On Fri, 21 May 1999, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> On May 20,  9:21pm, eric@fox.phoenix.az.us (Eric Fox) wrote:
>
> | Hmmm, lets see ... (this was a "gimme" from someone who was tired of
> | tripping over it) ... it's an IBM PS/2 Model P70 386 Portable.  It's
> | running an intel 80386 w/ 80387, microchannel, 6Meg mem, 1.44 flop, a SCSI
> | drive of unkown size, and a plazma VGA mono screen.  That's about all I
> | know about it.
>
> That makes sense... I don't think that you are going to have much luck
> with it. We never supported the PS/2 machines... There are some
> patches in the PR database that you might want to try, but this box is
> too old and slow for anyone to bother. This is the reason probably
> that it does not see the scsi adapter...

	Its faster than some of the vaxen we support. :)
	I believe there are at least two people working on NetBSD support
	for these boxes:
		http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~st/netbsd-mca.html
	and	http://www.sprc.qut.edu.au/~mcgarry/netbsd/mca.html

> The most fun you're going to have with it is to fo to a tall building
> and drop it and see how many pieces it will break into.

	Tsk, where is your sense of adventure (or patience :)

		David/absolute

                 -=-  "You can have my absence of faith"  -=-