Subject: Re: Printers.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/20/1999 21:52:47
> I think you're out of luck here... Companies such as Lexmark aren't
> interested in niche markets...

I send email to one of the Lexmark engineers seeing if I could get him
to release interface specs.

The problems were: 1) The interface is *very* low level.  The software
needs to take into account crap like adjacent pixels, temps etc.  2)
The printer-resident firmware might have bugs and controlling the
software on the computer allows them to code around bugs without a
major "printer recall".  (I assume flash-rom would really blow the
hardware budget on the low-end printers)

On the other hand, he seemed to think that Lexmark marketing could be
convinced to release ghostscript code and/or modules if enough
requests came in for it.  They do run unix internally and do use a
locally hacked ghostscript with their win95 printers, so all the code
already exists.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>