Subject: Re: low memory install
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/20/1999 20:40:29
On Fri, 21 May 1999, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> In article <Pine.NEB.4.05.9905201616060.4187-100000@red.fox.phoenix.az.us> eric@fox.phoenix.az.us (Eric Fox) writes:
> >I've got a IBM P70 386 w/6mb of memory.  Attempts to install NetBSD 1.3.3
> >on it stall out durring the probe faze when booting from
> >floppy--presumably due to low memory.  Is there another method of
> >installing on a machine with low memory?  I've scanned the lists and was
> >unable to locate similar situations.
>
> There is an install-small image somewhere that is meant to work on small
> machines (i.e. does not have scsi, pci, and other bloat).

Thanks to all of you for the quick responses--unfortuantely, using
boot-small.fs didn't resolve my problem.  The boot from floppy is still
hanging out to dry ... here're the messages I get on the screen (as
re-typed):

  NetBSD 1.3.3 (INSTALL_SMALL) #0: Fri Dec 11 17:39:52 PST 1998
      root@struis:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/INSTALL_SMALL
  cpu0: Intel 386DX (386-class)
  real mem = 6156288
  avail mem = 3334144
  using 100 buffers containing 409600 bytes of memory
  mainbus0 (root)
  isa0 at mainbus0
  com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
  npx0 at isa port 0xf0-0xff irq 13
  pc0 at isa0 port 0x60-0x6f irq 1: mono
  pc0: console
  fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
  fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB, 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
  biomask 40 netmask 40 ttymask 42

At this point, it just stops.  I've left it running for an hour just to
see if it would eventually continue, but it doesn't.

So it looks like memory may not be the issue.  Anyone have any ideas?

  /\---/\  Eric J Fox
 /  o o  \ http://fox.phoenix.az.us
    \@/    "Of course it runs NetBSD."