Subject: RE: Printers.
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/20/1999 15:24:48
>On 20-May-99 Richard Rauch spoke unto us all:
>#  a) Can someone else confirm the ``drift'' problem with another
>#  configuration?  Or suggest a fix?
>
>I wonder if your drift is more a problem with the papersize setting than
>anything else..

Hm.  Possibly, but the papersize isn't grossly incorrect.  I vaguely
remember that a2ps defaults to European sizes, and I had to configure it
to U.S. sizes (maybe I'm thinking of tetex or psutils, though? or more
than one of the above...).  Should I look to configuration errors in a2ps,
or are you suggesting that perhaps a2ps has the wrong definitions for U.S.
dimensions?  (This probably would not be a problem if I didn't use fanfold
paper; physically discrete pages should force recalibration at each
page-break...)

>As for a suggested printer.. I'm happy with my Epson colorjet printer..

Can you give me a specific model number?  Or does ``colorjet'' implicitly
mean just one particular model?  Any gotchas?

(Also, something that troubles me a little.  When my brother bought a
Lexmark inkjet, he was told that it would need periodic cleaning.  The
salesman claimed that the printer would actually fail, eventually, without
cleaning.  It apparently has to do with build-up of spattered ink near/on
mechanical components.  I checked an on-display Lexmark, and it did have a
film of wet ink on the bed beneath the print-head.  Do the Epsons need any
similar cleaning?)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu