Subject: Re: Having trouble running pppd on tty0
To: None <president@the-dma.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/12/1999 03:25:36
On Tue, 11 May 1999, Trevin Beattie wrote:

> Another problem which may be related is that when I run "cu -l tty0
> dir", it seems to connect to tty00, but anything I type has no effect on
> the modem.  If I try to exit after typing anything, cu hangs; I can exit
> out by typing ^C^\ a few times, but often this will again result in
> being unable to exec any more processes.  (BTW, I have no idea how to
> set the configuration for cu -- the man page mentions a configuration
> file in /etc/uucp/config, but there is no documentation about it nor a
> default configuration file!)

Maybe not related. `cu' works better with "type modem" in the
/etc/uucp/port file. Otherwise, you have to set clocal for that port from
another terminal or xterm. There's a commented sample port file in the
sources--you can get it off of the ftp site:
<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/gnu/libexec/uucp/sample/port>.
NetBSD 1.4 also includes the uucp info file, which has a section on cu. By
the way, you exit cu with `~'(tilde), `.'(period).

> # Start by resetting the modem
> '' atz0
> # If it was processed, go ahead and dial XMission
> OK atdt990-0900

I don't see anything really wrong with your whole setup, but I prefer to
do it this way:

TIMEOUT 5
''      AT
OK-AT-OK 'AT&F1&C1&D2M0E0W1S95=63S11=60'
OK      'ATDT9,870-1205'
TIMEOUT 100
CONNECT \c

1) On my 486 VL, Micronics mb, internal isa modem, the first character
after opening the port always gets eaten. The timeout and extra AT deals
with that.

2) Setting the init string from "Fn" gives you complete control over the
modem configuration. I used to play with the AT&Wn and ATZ, ATZn, but
after a while I'd forget what I put in there. I've also been told that you
can only run AT&Wn a finite number of times before the modem is _trashed_.
I don't know if that's really true, but I just don't do it anymore.

I haven't had any problems with ppp with my own build of 1.4beta or 1.4,
so I'm at a loss to explain how upgrading could cause a problem.