Subject: Having trouble running pppd on tty0
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Trevin Beattie <spam@xmission.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/11/1999 22:14:16
I've recently installed NetBSD 1.4Beta on a new computer, and tried to
configure it as closely as possible to my original system runnig NetBSD
1.3.2.  For some reason, I can't get pppd to communicate with the modem
on tty00.  When I run pppd, it starts the chat program which is supposed
to dial out, but chat exits without doing anything, and then pppd just
sits idle.  What's worse, if I try to kill pppd, NetBSD somehow loses
the ability to exec any new process, so I'm forced to reset the
computer.

Even though I am starting chat with the -v option and I give the `debug'
option to pppd, I get absotulety no indication of any activity -- no
messages on the console, /var/log/messages, or the controlling terminal.

Another problem which may be related is that when I run "cu -l tty0
dir", it seems to connect to tty00, but anything I type has no effect on
the modem.  If I try to exit after typing anything, cu hangs; I can exit
out by typing ^C^\ a few times, but often this will again result in
being unable to exec any more processes.  (BTW, I have no idea how to
set the configuration for cu -- the man page mentions a configuration
file in /etc/uucp/config, but there is no documentation about it nor a
default configuration file!)

What's even more confusing is that if I run "echo ATH1 > /dev/tty00", it
actually picks up the phone line -- but then I am unable to exec any
more commands, which means I have to turn the computer off in order to
hang up.

As I said, I thought I had configured my system just like my older
computer, on which pppd was working well.  Here are the changes I made
to the configuration files:

ppp# cat options
tty00
115200
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/xmission.chat'
crtscts
defaultroute
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
lock
modem
ms-dns 198.60.22.2
ms-dns 198.60.22.22
noipdefault
passive
remotename xmission
user trevin

ppp# cat xmission.chat
# Conversation script for calling XMission ppp dial-up access
#
# First, a series of exceptions:
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' REPORT CONNECT
#
# Start by resetting the modem
'' atz0
# If it was processed, go ahead and dial XMission
OK atdt990-0900
# Wait until we're connected
CONNECT \d

etc# diff gettytab{.orig,}
86a87,92
> # USRobotics Sportster Vi 36K Voice/Fax
> #
> usr36000|USRobotics Sportster Vi 36000:\
>       :np:rw:sp#115200:
>
> #

etc# diff remote{.orig,}
40a41,44

> # USRobotics Sportster Vi 36K Voice/Fax
> usr115200|tty00|USRobotics Sportster:\
>       :at=hayes:br#115200:dv=/dev/tty00:pa=none:

etc# diff syslog.conf{.orig,}
5a6
> daemon.debug                                          /var/log/messages

etc# diff ttys{.~1~,}
12c12,15
< tty00 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
---
> ttyE4 "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure
> ttyE5 "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure
> ttyv0 "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         pc3     off secure
> tty00 "/usr/libexec/getty usr36000"   unknown off secure local

Since I can't connect to the 'net with NetBSD, I won't be able to
retrieve any email.  Please post any replies to the newsgroup
comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc; I will be checking the newsgroup daily during
the next week while retrieving the release version of NetBSD 1.4.
-- Trevin