Subject: Quake 3 works with a netbsd-current system :-)
To: None <netbsd-current@netbsd.org, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/06/1999 21:09:36
Folks,
        Let me congratulate all the people that worked on the Linux
emulation code and, more generally, NetBSD.  After a short struggle I
was able to run up the latest & greatest from iD, the Quake 3 test.
This may not mean much to the non-game players out there but the fact
that we can run a Linux binary that accesses a 3D accelerator card
that is not directly supported impresses the hell out of me (and I get
to see what Q3 is like :-)  The sound worked for me as well.  Well
done all round...

For people who want to repeat the test (for purely scientific purposes
only, of course) here is a link to a FreeBSD howto:

http://www.cybernet.com/~mtaylor/q3ahowto.html

About the only thing that differs for NetBSD is a) you must build a
kernel with the linux emulation in it and b) the path to the emulation
tree is /emul/linux not /compat/linux.

I found I had to log in as root and run the X server otherwise quake3
would not run - it would error out with error 7 (too many args?
what???) and then seg fault.  So run as root - it sucks but that's the
way it is.

The link to the linux how-to page gives some hints that may help.