Subject: Re: moving from samba 1 to samba 2
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/02/1999 14:20:41
nmanisca@vt.edu (nm) writes:
> recently i upgraded to 2.0.3 and found that win95 and win98
> clients can no longer connect to my shares.

I think win98 changed the authentication style.  When I turn on samba
debugging I see that the user/password that samba gets is of an
unacceptable encryption type.  In my case I just switched to a
read-only/"public" protection with an IP-address based filter at both
the router and the samba server.  There is some verbiage in the samba
docs about the new encryption and its security pitfalls.  I just
decided to punt.

I only use thing I know how to do under win98 is use the GPS map
program "Delorme Street Atlas 6.0".  If it weren't for that, I'd
reclaim that disk space for NetBSD also.  Too bad it doesn't run under
WINE.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>