Subject: Re: Building sets...
To: None <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/30/1999 13:05:42
In article <199904301747.DAA14336@balrog.supp.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>,
    Simon Burge wrote:

>> >It probably makes sense for /usr/src/Makefile's "make snapshot" to:

>> >	make build			# build 'most everything
>> >	cd etc && make distribution	# install /etc and /var bits
>> >	cd distrib && make snapshot	# piece it all together

>> >Are you volunteering?  :-)

>It probably wouldn't take too much more that lopping that last 120 or
>lines of etc/Makefile and putting them in distrib/Makefile (maybe with a
>little more goo from etc/Makefile too).

>The Makefile stuff involving builds and snapshots isn't
>the prettiest thing around :-)

>Simon.

I've already done some significant playing with the Makefile build/snapshot
framework (see pr misc/7089), so I could take a shot at this.  Since I
don't yet have CVS access, and the anoncvs server isn't up yet, I probably
wouldn't submit the changes until after May 18, when the sup branch moves
back to the trunk.  Among other things this would let me take a look at the
changes put into the pmax port to include builds of the installation stuff
(ramdisk, boot miniroot/floppies, etc.) and try to extend them to the other
ports.

jdarrow

--
John Darrow
Computing Services, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL