Subject: Re: sendmail - mail relays
To: Tom Trebisky <tom@kofa.as.arizona.edu>
From: Rex McMaster <rmcm@compsoft.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/27/1999 18:02:17
--mT8/qXP/Oa

Cw is the static list of hostnames for which a host will receive
mail. Relaying is different - the patches for 8.8.8 which are/were on
sendmail.org are effective and easy to apply (esp. if using M4
configuration). I have attached a copy.
Rex McMaster                            rmcm@compsoft.com.au
                                   rex@mcmaster.wattle.id.au
     PGP Public key: http://www.compsoft.com.au/~rmcm/pgp-pk

--mT8/qXP/Oa

LOCAL_CONFIG
FR-o /etc/sendmail.cR

LOCAL_RULESETS
Scheck_rcpt
# anything terminating locally is ok
R$*			$: $>Parse0 $>3 $1
R$+ < @ $* . > $*	$: $1 < @ $2 >
R$+ < @ $=w >		$@ OK
R$+ < @ $=R >		$@ OK

# anything originating locally is ok
R$*			$: $(dequote "" $&{client_name} $)
R$=w			$@ OK
R$=R			$@ OK
R$@			$@ OK

# anything else is bogus
R$*			$#error $: "550 Relaying Denied"

--mT8/qXP/Oa

Frederick Bruckman writes:
 > On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Tom Trebisky wrote:
 >
 > >  As near as I can tell this means I am running sendmail 8.8.8.4
 > >  with a default sendmail.cf.
 > >  Two different parties have pointed out to me that my machine is
 > >  an open mail relay, which as most anyone knows is a BAD thing in
 > >  a world that would sooner be without spam.
 >
 > The hosts that you allow relaying from are listed in the Cw variable.
 > AFAIK that is only `localhost' by default. `grep ^Cw /etc/sendmail.cf'
 > should return only "Cwlocalhost". If you have something really nasty
 > there, like a lone `.', take it out.
 >
 > All the custom solutions floating around are for the benefit of remote
 > users. If you don't have any of those, just disable relaying with "Cw".

--mT8/qXP/Oa--