Subject: sendmail - mail relays
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Trebisky <tom@kofa.as.arizona.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/26/1999 19:30:52
 I cannot be the first to wonder about this.
 I am running NetBSD-1.3K on my i386.
 As near as I can tell this means I am running sendmail 8.8.8.4
 with a default sendmail.cf.
 Two different parties have pointed out to me that my machine is
 an open mail relay, which as most anyone knows is a BAD thing in
 a world that would sooner be without spam.

 So I am confronted with a number of choices:

 1) Figure out enough of sendmail.cf to figure out how to turn this
 off (this is one file in the world I was hoping I would never have
 to tangle with).
 2) Install the sendmail 8.9.3 that I just FTP'd and make sure that
 it doesn't set itself up as an open mail relay.
 3) Decide whether to make unkind comments about finding myself in
 this situation in the first place.  Sendmail 8.9.x specifically
 seems to exist to address the mail relay problem.  Is every netbsd
 machine out there an open mail relay?  Have I just buggered my
 installation (by not fiddling with sendmail.cf at all ??)

 Any help or info would be appreciated, otherwise the default course
 for tomorrow AM is to look at sendmail 8.9.3.  Curiously enough,
 a linux box I have running Red Hat 5.2 runs sendmail 8.8.7,
 and it is not a mail relay .... maybe I can learn some tricks from
 it .... why is neither netbsd or linux "shipping" with 8.9.x??

	Tom

--
	Tom Trebisky			MMT Observatory
	ttrebisky@as.arizona.edu	University of Arizona