Subject: Swapping memory to disk
To: 'netbsd-help@netbsd.org' <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Martin <BruceM@cat.co.za>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/19/1999 15:19:31

------ =_NextPart_001_01BE8A67.43150EA0

We have an application that requires us to write information
to memory continually, and then use the swap space on disk
if memory is full. We have set up /dev/wd0b as a swap
device, and have then used:
  mount -t mfs -o -s=65536 swap /mnt

to mount an MFS in /mnt. This works fine and we are happy
with it. However, when memory gets full, we want to swap a
large portion (say 8 megs) of information from memory to
disk, thus freeing up 8 megs of memory and meaning that
swapping will not occur very frequently at all.

Is there a way to specify how much info must get swapped to
disk at swap time?

Thanks
  Bruce

------ =_NextPart_001_01BE8A67.43150EA0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.0.1460.9">
<TITLE>Swapping memory to disk</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>We have an application that requires us to write =
information to memory continually, and then use the swap space on disk =
if memory is full. We have set up /dev/wd0b as a swap device, and have =
then used:</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; mount -t mfs -o -s=3D65536 swap /mnt</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>to mount an MFS in /mnt. This works fine and we are =
happy with it. However, when memory gets full, we want to swap a large =
portion (say 8 megs) of information from memory to disk, thus freeing =
up 8 megs of memory and meaning that swapping will not occur very =
frequently at all. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Is there a way to specify how much info must get =
swapped to disk at swap time?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; Bruce</FONT>