Subject: Re: Ethernet card compatibility question
To: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/15/1999 22:08:48
In message <3.0.3.32.19990415210224.006a0a44@mail.xmission.com>, Trevin Beattie
 writes:
>In the i386 hardware compatibility list, it shows that NetBSD 1.3.3 has a
>driver for the Linksys PCI Fast Ethernet; does this driver also work with
>the Linksys PCI Fast Ethernet II?

I believe so - at least, it was a FEII that I used to test it once.

>And what, exactly, is the difference between the 3Com 3C905 and 3C905B that
>makes the latter version incompatible?

Completely new and mostly unrelated chipset?  ;-)

>Are there similarly different
>flavors of the 3C900 that I should be aware of?  (I need to get a combo
>card to run my network on a BNC connection.)

Yes.  The 905B has several sub-revisions; I have no idea how to tell which
ones work in advance.

BSD/OS has them all working with one driver, except maybe the very most
recent, but it's a nightmare, IMHO.

-s