Subject: Re: NetBSD-friendly ISP's?
To: Robert Alexander Baxter <rbaxte03@harris.com>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/15/1999 15:15:11
In message <199904152008.QAA04745@hydra.corp.harris.com>, Robert Alexander Baxt
er writes:
>If you compile and run the program, it will *not* do the auto-
>justifying by default.  You must select Preferences -> Wrap ->
>Continuous to turn it on.  You can also select Preferences -> Wrap ->
>Wrap Margin to set whether paragraphs justify to the width of the
>window, or to a set characters-per-line amount (e.g.  72 for making
>emails).

Hmm.  I've got it compiled (from pkgsrc), and it's in Continuous wrap
mode, but I have a "paragraph" where I've deleted words from a line in the
middle, and the lines below don't seem to flow in until I ^J.  No problem;
Lyx works.  She wrote a book in TeX once, so she likes the idea.  ;)

>I think its neat that you're helping your mom use NetBSD.  I remember
>when I was in middle school, I tried to teach my mom how to use the PC
>and she got very frustrated and cried, etc.  She persisted, however,
>making report cards (she's a 2nd grade teacher) on the computer and
>other things.  Now she's so good at computers, she even gathered up all
>the older, unwanted Macintosh computers at her school and made a network
>in her classroom!  Her students can learn the sounds letters make, draw,
>and make emails on the computers.

My mom got started hacking BASIC on a Wang 2200, so she's not a computer
novice.  She's not really wizard grade, but she's a mathematician by training,
so I figured she could handle it.  She's writing an article about her
experience as we speak; this all came out of a comment in an AP article
about how "Linux is neat, but you wouldn't want to give it to your mother
to store her recipes".

I am pleased to report that NetBSD is pretty much mom-ready.

-s