Subject: NetBSD-friendly ISP's?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/15/1999 01:19:28
I'm setting up my old laptop for my mom - with any luck, she'll be
as productive by tomorrow on it as she was on her old 386 DOS box
laptop.  (Or more so.)

Anyway, part of this has been setting up PPP - btw, is it just me,
or is it really confusing seeing all of this stuff about "demanding
that the peer authenticate" when what you really want to do is
authenticate to the peer? - to use her old WELL account, which is
really a uunet dialup.  It works, anyway - I can bring up web pages,
etc etc.

However... Because this is an obsolete deal, it's not really
supported anymore, and it costs money to use it.  Anyone know of
an ISP (ideally either national or in Denver) that supports NetBSD?
I'm not big enough to open a POP in Denver just for my mom.  ;-)
"works okay with" would be good enough.  I seem to recall I got
connected okay to Mindspring, but I'd love to see an ISP actually
say they support users with free OS's.

BTW, my mom's NetBSD laptop will be the subject of one of her
nationally syndicated columns this week; I'll try to make sure it's
mostly positive, although it's a bit hard to make the system quite
as convenient as I'd like.

Speaking of which:  Are there any text editors which have a mode
where paragraph justification happens constantly?  Emacs probably
has one, but I don't think I want to start my mom on Emacs.  ;-)

What I want is an editor which produces plain-old-ASCII, but where,
if you delete text in the first line in a "paragraph"
(blank-line-delimited, I suppose) it reformats and wraps text to
keep lines roughly N characters, for N near 72.  This would be very
useful, as what she really wants is just a plain ASCII word processor.
I've had editors like this for DOS, but none of the Unix ones I
know of do it; "justify" is always a separate action you take.

-s