Subject: Shared memory setup: opinions?
To: 'netbsd-help@netbsd.org' <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Martin <BruceM@cat.co.za>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/13/1999 11:26:24

------ =_NextPart_001_01BE858F.B38CC760

Hi All,

I am an inexperienced NetBSD user, an am needing opinions on
a system setup. I need to set up two memory regions
(typically each 20MB in size) that can be shared among
different processes running on a machine. The system must be
able to move stuff directly to an offset within these memory
spaces (eg memcpy()) and also directly from this memory to
disk (eg write()). When this memory gets full, it must be
able to swap out to disk storage, and dump the entire
contents of what is in this memory to disk swap space, so
that the memory can continue to be used to store incoming
info.

How would you go about reserving this memory, specifying
it's size, knowing its starting address, and organising the
paging to disk?

Thanks
 Bruce

------ =_NextPart_001_01BE858F.B38CC760

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.0.1460.9">
<TITLE>Shared memory setup: opinions?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hi All,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am an inexperienced NetBSD user, an =
am needing opinions on a system setup. I need to set up two memory =
regions (typically each 20MB in size) that can be shared among =
different processes running on a machine. The system must be able to =
move stuff directly to an offset within these memory spaces (eg =
memcpy()) and also directly from this memory to disk (eg write()). When =
this memory gets full, it must be able to swap out to disk storage, and =
dump the entire contents of what is in this memory to disk swap space, =
so that the memory can continue to be used to store incoming =
info.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">How would you go about reserving this =
memory, specifying it's size, knowing its starting address, and =
organising the paging to disk?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;Bruce</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------ =_NextPart_001_01BE858F.B38CC760--