Subject: Re: Packages and PKGSRC
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/01/1999 10:13:21
On 01-Apr-99 Erik Bertelsen spoke unto us all:
#  Other patches are there to change the default installation into
#  /usr/pkg instead of e.g. /usr/local. These patches are inherently
#  part of the pkg collection and WILL be there "forever".

Actually, quite recently I've been amazed at the packages that build right out
of the box.  Things like enlightenment, and eterm, which were previously
absolute porting nightmares, are getting better code, and vastly better gnu
configure scripts.   Add to that our much better support for gnu configure in
the pkg system, and we have been winning big.

I've found alot of the recent gnome stuff is like this..  Large amunts of gnome
programs seem to be working right out of the box.  (assuming they work with a
modern version of gtk/gnome, which isn't necc. the case)

---
Tim Rightnour  -  root@garbled.net
Free Multi-Platform Operating System: http://www.netbsd.org