Subject: Re: Packages and PKGSRC
To: None <justin@theprovider.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/31/1999 10:12:51
justin@theprovider.com writes:
> I had a general rambling question:
>
> 	If NetBSD is aiming towards BSD and POSIX standards, why do so
> many of the packages in pkgsrc have patches in their directories? Is it
> that the programmers are so absent minded that they could give a damn
> about who compiles it as long as it compiles on the machine they are
> working on?

Some package maintainers care, some don't.  Some packages use
inherently system-dependent functionality, and the package maintainers
haven't yet pulled in the changes needed to support NetBSD.

Of course, there's also the issue that if you think "BSD" is a
standard, or if you think that any form of POSIX is enough to produce
a useful, whizzy application program, you're sorely mistaken.

cgd