Subject: Embedded NetBSD on MPC860SAR (ATM)?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Fernando D. Mato Mira <matomira@acm.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/22/1999 13:08:28
Hello,

Someone at `core' told me it's better to ask this here, so sorry if you've already
seen this.

We have a project to implement a networking device where we are currently using VxWorks.
I've been asked to investigate whether we can replace it by Linux, but given the application,
I'm thinking NetBSD would be a better choice, if possible. The issues I identified so far are:

1. Is NetBSD ROMable? Can one just execute from ROM, or must one load from ROM into a RAM disk
or something like that?
2. Is a `disk' required?
3. How hard is in general to port Linux drivers to NetBSD? (in concrete terms, for a WaveLAN PCMCIA adapter).
4. Is there any support for ATM? Specifically, we use a telecom version of the PPC, the MPC860SAR, which adds
an Utopia ATM interface. Also, ATM ARP would be interesting, but we don't really need it.
5. What about IP masquerading?
6. Finally, sorry about the heresy, but what about STREAMS divers?, that would be so cool..

Thanks in advance,

Fernando D. Mato Mira
Real-Time SW Engineering & Networking
Advanced Systems Engineering Division
CSEM - Centre Suisse d'Electronique et de Microtechnique
Jaquet-Droz 1                                                                    Email:   matomira AT acm DOT org
CH-2007 Neuchatel                                                            Phone:    +41 (32) 720-5157
Switzerland                                                                       FAX:        +41 (32) 720-5720

http://www.csem.ch/         http://www.vrai.com/          http://ligwww.epfl.ch/matomira.html