Subject: Need help with RTM_LOSING message on 1.3.3/i386 system
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/22/1999 10:35:38
Hello,

I've been watching the output from "route monitor" and the contents
of my routed trace file and I've been seeing messages like the following:

got message of size 112
RTM_LOSING: Kernel Suspects Partitioning: len 112, pid: 0, seq 0, errno 0,
flags:<UP,GATEWAY,DONE,STATIC>
locks:  inits:
sockaddrs: <DST,GATEWAY,NETMASK>
 rdf.netscape.com dialupE238.mpls.uswest.net default

Can someone please give me more information on just what the RTM_LOSING
message means? I looked at the documentation for route, routed and even
poked around in the kernel code, but this doesn't seem to be well
documented. Hopefully someone out there with a better knowledge of routing
can explain this message to me. If it helps to see what my routing tables
looked like when this message came out, here they are:

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use    Mtu
Interface
default            dialupE238.mpls.us UGS         4      935      -  ppp0
loopback           localhost          UGS        25     1206      -  lo0
localhost          localhost          UH          2      115      -  lo0
callisto           localhost          UGHS        0      898      -  lo0
207.225.140.42     dialupE238.mpls.us UH          0        0      -  ppp0
dialupE238.mpls.us localhost          UH          1        0      -  lo0

ppp0 is connected to a Hayes Enhanced Serial Port (ESP) card.

Thanks,

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens PT&D, LLC                 | Voice    : +1 612 536-4697        |
| Power Systems Control Division    | Fax      : +1 612 536-4919        |
| 7225 Northland Drive, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota 55428   USA            |