Subject: Need with help with printer...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/19/1999 12:52:40
Hello,

I'm running 1.3.3/i386 and I am seeing the following message from the
kernel each time I try to print to a HP LaserJet 5L:

  Feb 19 00:09:04 raisin /netbsd: lpt0: offline

What is causing this to come out? The printer is turned on, and is in
the online mode.

My kernel appears to be correctly configured:

  # ISA parallel printer interfaces
  lpt0    at isa? port 0x378 irq 7        # standard PC parallel ports

And the kernel recognizes the device during the boot sequence, as shown
here from part of the dmesg output:

  lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378-0x37b irq 7

The machine also has Win95 on it and I can print to the same printer, so
I doubt that there are problems with the cable.

Thanks,

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens PT&D, LLC                 | Voice    : +1 612 536-4697        |
| Power Systems Control Division    | Fax      : +1 612 536-4919        |
| 7225 Northland Drive, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota 55428   USA            |