Subject: Re: command route add ... fails
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/06/1999 14:20:47
In article <000801be51c5$551c7c90$0301a8c0@nt2.network.de> oliverko@dialup.nacamar.de (Olli) writes:
>dear all,
>
>I tryed the commands:
>
>route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 de0
>route add default ppp0
>
>(I'm using Linux too and this commands did work). Why I get the
>failure netmask: wrong option and ppp0 wrong interface?
>I've still setup pppd and it works!

First route add line:
I assume that de0 connected to the class c network 192.168.1; if that is
the case and "ifconfig de0" prints the right mask, you don't need to do
anything the kernel adds the route automagically.

Second route add line:
In your pppd config file add "defaultroute"; this will work better because
it will establish the route each time you bring the interface up, and delete
it each time the ppp interface is down (on manual mode). Or keep it in place
if you are using it in demand dial mode.

christos